
Sunlight reflecting off of thin ice at water's edge. Unfortunately, most of our sunny days are also bitterly cold and windy. Warm, calm days in winter (if you can call any northern Illinois days between November and April "warm") are usually gray and dreary. I like the texture of this. It reminds me of a rubbing done on a sheet of metal.

This small nook of the pond wasn't quite frozen over, and I noticed this strange arrangement of leaves floating on the water's surface. At first I though the wind must have collected them there, but when I looked closer I saw this:

See the bubbles? This artwork was made by some critter huffing and puffing underwater!
6 comments:
Lovely shots!
These are great ones! :)
I'd consider framing these! (and what critter do you think might have been under there?!)
I like this series of pictures, Rachel. And I identify with the weather pattern you mentioned, too!
I love all of these! Isn't it amazing what beauty and wonder there is to behold right in front of us.
Did you ever decide on a camera?
Thanks, everyone. :-)
Laura, I'm stumped. I know there are fish and frogs in the pond, and sometimes turtles, but I'd think it'd be way too cold for a frog or turtle to be active now, and sensible fish would be down deep where it's not so cold. And I've never seen any of those make bubbles. It's a mystery I'll have to investigate. Good thing there's a nature-nut, conservation district guy in my neighborhood.
Sandy, I'm still dithering on the camera. It's a quandary--do I go with something really good that I'll probably never have the expertise to make full use of or something small that I can take with me everywhere? I keep looking for somebody to tell me definitely wat the best smallish step-down-from-an-SLR camera is, but I haven't found a consensus on that yet. When you were researching, what else was on your short list besides the Nikon?
Post a Comment