The writing is not particularly good, and the details got confusing at times, but I'm very glad I read it. Put it this way--I liked it better than Moby Dick! A fascinating man living in fascinating times.
Paula, reading his works is definitely better, but doing so just made me all the more interested to find out how his words and life intersected. When I first read some of his theological works, I kept asking myself why this man would become involved in a conspiracy to overthrow Hitler, and I had to investigate. The biography doesn't give a completely satisfying answer, but I don't think Bonhoeffer found a completely satisfying answer for himself, either. Complicated man, great thinker.
Julie, a "whole life story" OUGHT to be covered in a thousand-page book, but I still want to find out more. :-) With the Amazon gift certificate I got in the mail today from a beautiful woman (many thanks, boss!) I'm going to see if I can get hold of Maria vonWedemeyer's book of the letters she and DB exchanged while he was in prison. Can you imagine--an eighteen-year-old girl newly engaged whose fiance is imprisoned and then killed? What would that do to a young woman? How would she handle it? Did you know he was killed in April but it wasn't until much later that the family knew what had happened to him? Maria searched for him throughout Germany for two months before she got word. Incredible times, just incredible.
9 comments:
I am IMPRESSED! Was it good?
The writing is not particularly good, and the details got confusing at times, but I'm very glad I read it. Put it this way--I liked it better than Moby Dick! A fascinating man living in fascinating times.
Wow! I hope I'll hear more about it.
(I'm not fond of Moby Dick either.)
GOOD FOR YOU!! That was a big achievement.
Susan
Me three on the Moby Dick! It is a badge of honor to read it, but I won't EVER read that sucker again!
I'm interested. Did you find it better than reading his actual works? Or did it just help illuminate them for you?
Wow! You ambitious woman. What a great photo of a great man by a great friend!
(A million superlatives in that last sentence. :))
Don't you love DB even more now that you know his whole life story?
Julie
Paula, reading his works is definitely better, but doing so just made me all the more interested to find out how his words and life intersected. When I first read some of his theological works, I kept asking myself why this man would become involved in a conspiracy to overthrow Hitler, and I had to investigate. The biography doesn't give a completely satisfying answer, but I don't think Bonhoeffer found a completely satisfying answer for himself, either. Complicated man, great thinker.
Julie, a "whole life story" OUGHT to be covered in a thousand-page book, but I still want to find out more. :-) With the Amazon gift certificate I got in the mail today from a beautiful woman (many thanks, boss!) I'm going to see if I can get hold of Maria vonWedemeyer's book of the letters she and DB exchanged while he was in prison. Can you imagine--an eighteen-year-old girl newly engaged whose fiance is imprisoned and then killed? What would that do to a young woman? How would she handle it? Did you know he was killed in April but it wasn't until much later that the family knew what had happened to him? Maria searched for him throughout Germany for two months before she got word. Incredible times, just incredible.
Post a Comment