Thursday, February 15, 2007

Good-bye, OldLadyMobile

At the time, I didn't have the presence of mind to snap a photo of the car, what with all the police cars and rescue vehicles everywhere and questions from paramedics to answer, so this photo of the police report is the only memento I have of today's biggest event. Just about the time I was expecting Liz home from school, she called. "Mom, I was in a car acccident." Gulp. As she was stopped to make a left turn, a car, traveling at 45-50 miles per hour, rear-ended her. Judging by her voice on the phone, I could tell she was okay, but still when I got to the accident site (a couple miles from home) and saw the back bumper of our Buick squashed all the way into the back seat, the fear rose in my throat. Thank God the younger kids weren't with her, as they usually are, filling up that back seat with chatter and bookbags and band instruments. What a relief to find Liz sitting in the ambulance, shaking with reaction but otherwise perfectly normal and healthy.The driver of the other car, a girl only a year or so older than Liz, was taken away in the ambulance, but I think she was only slightly injured--sore neck, a bitten tongue. The Buick, however, is a total loss. No way to fix a car whose hindmost part is no longer the bumper but a fully-exposed muffler. I'm going to miss that old gal--she's been good to us. But, considering that a similar accident Monday in the exact same spot gave a man a broken neck, I'd say our losses are trifling.

12 comments:

Katrina said...

Wow! Glad everyone is okay & the other kids weren't with her! What a scary thing for her, and you. Hope you can all relax this evening.

Ampersand said...

So relieved that she is ok. So sorry for the stress for you!

Sandie said...

I am glad everyone is ok. Those are the phone calls I dread. Lots to be thankful for. Interesting photo to remember the day :)

Colleen said...

What a blessing Liz didn't get hurt. Rear-enders can be scary. Hope things go smoothly with the insurance and so on.

LauraLiz said...

I'm so glad everyone is OK! I was rear ended a while back--just a bump, really. My neck and shoulders got sore though, and stayed that way for day. Hope Liz sails through with no after effects!

I said goodbye to our 1995 van that had been the family vehicle through all the years of elementary and high school. Lauren took it off to college then passed to to Jonathan, and it just died. Completely. I never thought about caring about it, but it WAS sad to realize it's not in our family any more!

Unknown said...

Oh gosh. I can so realate to the fear and feelings of post-accident what ifs. So glad Liz is safe. Sorry for the ensuing hassle you are about to experience in replacing the car, dealing with insurance etc.

Sandy said...

So glad to hear Liz is ok. Just reading about it had me all tense - I can only imagine how you felt seeing it. Sorry for the loss of the car but am so glad that's the worst of the affects of the accident.

Carol Ann Weaver said...

So glad it was only the loss of a Buick! When I was sixteen, I total our Flord Fairlane and was hesitant to tell my parents who were away on vacation at the time. My dad didn't care squat about the car, he was glad to get rid of it and all that matter was that I was all right. You know what is precious, Rachel!

Dancingirl said...

Glad she's okay. We had an accident here, too, only the day before with the same kind of phone call. Matt arrived home with a bang... He flew in Tuesday p.m. and was in an accident Wed. a.m. A girl didn't stop at a stop sign and came flying across the road in front of him. His car is totalled, but thankfully he's okay.

my15minutes said...

Wow, glad Liz is OK. And--since all turned out OK for you-- I'm glad you've got an excuse to lose the old lady car!

Dalissa 365 said...

Yea for big old cars that can be hit from behind and still leave their drivers unscathed. I'm so glad to hear your daughter is fully intact. Hope you all were able to relax this weekend.

SUSAN said...

I am so glad Liz was not injured physically. Hopefully, this will not put a damper on her driving enthusiasm. Wow. Hugs to you.

Susan